Proceedings of the Colorado Scientific Society
Volume I, 1883-1884
Table of Contents with links to articles
Using the Proceedings of the Colorado Scientific Society, Volume I:
- Links to digital copies (PDFs) of papers and meetings are embedded within this Table of Contents. Clicking the link opens the PDF in a new tab.
- Searching: The Search box for the following Table of Contents is above the “VOLUME & PAGES” column header. Use it to search by author or for subject keywords. For example “emm” will bring up all sections with Emmons in the CONTENTS or AUTHOR(S).
- Volume I of the Proceedings does not always start a new meeting or paper on a new page. Your paper may start half-way down the first page of the PDF. When breaking the Proceedings into separate papers, both the preceding and following papers include the shared page.
- If a page with a picture or diagram is presented in a smaller size, just zoom it in to see the detail.
CSS Proceedings, Vol 1, 1883-1884 - Table of Contents
|Contents||Author(s)||Volume and Pages|
|Proceedings of the Colorado Scientific Society, Volume I, 1883-1884, cover page||Vol_1, I|
|Officers in 1883 and 1884 and List of Members in Jan. 1885||Vol_1, II - V|
|Constitution and By-Laws||Vol_1, VI - X|
|Abstracts of Meeting Minutes for the Colorado Scientific Society, 1882-1884||Vol_1, XI - XXVIII|
|Meeting of January 2d, 1883||Vol_1, 1|
|Address of the President, S. F. Emmons||Emmons, Samuel F.||Vol_1, 1-12|
|Formation of Hills by Mineral Springs on the Island of Java||Van Diest, Peter H.||Vol_1, 12-13|
|Meeting of February 5th, 1883||Vol_1, 14|
|On the Estimation of Arsenic||Pearce, Richard||Vol_1, 14-17|
|Technical Estimation of Copper|
Gold Sand from the Snake River is first discussed at the end (page 20). Cross examines it in March (page 36) and again in May (page 38).
|Low, A. H.||Vol_1, 17-20|
|Meeting of March 5th, 1883.||Vol_1, 20|
|Ore Deposits of Summit District, Rio Grande County, Colorado||Hills, Richard C.||Vol_1, 20-36|
|Gold Sand from Snake River, Idaho Territory|
Introduced at the February meeting (page 20), zircon is found in May (page 38).
|Cross, Whitman||Vol_1, 36-37|
|Meeting of April 2nd, 1883.|
On a variety of Löllingite containing cobalt and nickel by W. F. Hillebrand [title only]
|Some remarks upon the Geology of Sumatra and the manner of conducting Mining Operations there two hundred and fifty years ago||Van Diest, Peter H.||Vol_1, 38|
|Meeting of May 5th, 1883.||Vol_1, 38-39|
| Zircon in Gold Sand from the Snake River, Cross|
Gold Sand from the Snake River was discussed in February (page 20). Cross examined it in March (page 36).
|Cross, Whitman||Vol_1, 38|
|Meeting of June 4th, 1883.|
Dinosaurs by Lakes, Smelting Tin by Chinese by van_Diest, Tin in Cornwall, England by Pearce
|Meeting of October 1st, 1883.|
Extinct Glaciers of the San Juan Mountains, Colorado
|Hills, Richard C.||Vol_1, 39-46|
|Meeting of Nov. 5th, 1883.|
Eruption of the Volcano Krakatoa, Straits of Sunda, by Mr. van Diest [title only]
|Meeting of Dec. 3d, 1883.|
On an interesting variety of Lollingite and other Minerals
|Hillebrand, William F.||Vol_1, 46-57|
|Meeting of Jan. 7th, 1884|
Address of the Retiring President, S. F. Emmons
|Emmons, Samuel F.||Vol_1, 57-61|
|On the Estimation of the Capital requisite for Investment in Mining Properties||Van Diest, Peter H.||Vol_1, 61-67|
|Meeting of Feb. 4th, 1884||Vol_1, 67-68|
|Meeting of April 7th, 1884|
New Apparatus for the Estimation of Copper
|Low, A. H.||Vol_1, 68-73|
|Notes on a Sulpho-Bismuthite||Foster, Ernest LeNeve||Vol_1, 73-74|
|Meeting of May 5th, 1884|
May 5, 1884
The proposed inland Sea of Africa, by Mr. van Diest
Red Sunsets by Mr. Cross
|Meeting of June 2nd, 1884.|
The Artesian Wells of Denver. A Report by a special committee of the Colorado Scientific Society (4 MB)
Section I. Geological Relations by Whitman Cross
Section II. Data concerning the Denver Wells by Frederic F. Chisholm
Section III. Chemistry of the Wells by Regis Chauvenet
Section IV. General Information by P. H. van Diest
Chisolm, Frederic F.
Van Diest, P. H
|Meeting of July 7th, 1884.|
Building Stones of Colorado
|Van Diest, Peter H||Vol_1, 109-110|
|Meeting of October 6th, 1884||Vol_1, 110|
|Meeting of November 3rd, 1884||Vol_1, 111-112|
|Meeting of Dec. 1st, 1884|
On an Association of Rare Minerals from Utah
|Hillebrand, William F.||Vol_1, 112-123|
|On Zunyite and Guitermanite, two new Minerals from Colorado, by W. F. Hillebrand||Hillebrand, William F.||Vol_1, 124-132|
|A Vein of Pyrite in California||Pearce, Richard||Vol_1, 133|
|A List of Specially Noteworthy Minerals of Colorado||Cross, Whitman||Vol_1, 134-144|
|Summit District, Plates I & II||Vol_1, appended|
About the Proceedings of the Colorado Scientific Society
- The Society does not own a complete set of original copies of Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. We have most of Volumes 8-17 in our archives. All of the papers have been printed and put in notebooks for our records and preservation.
- Thanks to Beth Simmons, who extracted pages from HathiTrust.org and combined them to create the PDF for each paper in the table above. The link for Hathi is:
HathiTrust.org archive of Proceedings of Colorado Scientific Society
- Google did an excellent job of digitizing these Proceedings. In 1888 the CSS had donated copies of the Proceedings to Harvard. Now we have them back. Follow the link above and scroll up a little to see the receipt for them at Harvard.
- Limitations of the HathiTrust archive:
– Hathi has multiple volumes of the Proceedings run one after another.
– You can only copy a single page at a time on Hathi.
– Hathi has no table of contents, so you cannot search for authors or for keywords in titles.
– We add scanned foldouts and big maps to the scanned pages from Hathi.
- Hathi does have more volumes of the Proceedings posted than we do. We are working on posting additional volumes.
- If you want to see a physical copy in Colorado, both the Denver Public Library and the Arthur Lakes Library at the Colorado School of Mines own complete sets of originals of the Proceedings.