Geology of the Upper Arkansas Valley
CSS 2018 Fall Field Trip
September 15-16, 2018
Led by Karl Kellogg, Cal Ruleman, and Scott Minor, USGS
Spend Two Days examining diverse Geologic features of the beautiful Upper Arkansas Valley:
- Proterozoic sedimentation, volcanism, and plutonism
- Laramide Orogeny structural features
- Northern Rio Grande Rift and Upper Arkansas Valley magmatism, tectonism, and sedimentation
- Pre-rift intrusive rocks and Oligocene and Eocene volcanic rocks
- Glacial history and deposits including catastrophic outwash floods
- Mineral deposits (gold, silver, copper, zinc, lead, fluorspar, and others)
- Landslide, alluvial, mass-movement, eolian, and wetland deposits
There is something for everyone!
CSS Upper Arkansas field trip Details, Sept. 15 and 16, 2018 describes the geologic features and processes we will examine.
The group will spend one night at a motel in Buena Vista, and travel will be either be rented vans or personal car-pooling.
If you want to go on this trip, please contact Cal Ruleman, firstname.lastname@example.org, so he can register you.
From Kellogg, K.S., Shroba, R.R., Ruleman, C.A., Bohannon, R.G., McIntosh, W.C., Premo, W.R., Cosca, M.A., Moscati, R.J.,and Brandt, T.R., 2017, Geologic map of the upper Arkansas River valley region, north-central Colorado: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Map 3382, pamphlet 70 p., 2 sheets, scale 1:50,000.
Get the full map at https://doi.org/10.3133/sim3382
If you want to go on this trip, contact Cal Ruleman, email@example.com, so he can register you.
See our Past Field Trips for other places and topics we have explored.